Friday, April 6, 2012

Broken Arm

Poor Riles fell off the back of a chair in our basement last friday. After he fell, I didn't think much of it until he wouldn't stop holding it and my girlfriend (a PA) pointed out the dent in his wrist. So we rushed off to urgent care where they took x-rays that showed he had broken his arm in two places. Poor buddy! One of the breaks wasn't complete so in order for it to heal properly we had to go back the next day to have an orthopedic doctor break it completely.



That was a horrible day. After bringing Connor and Luke to the neighbors we headed to the hospital. I tried to stay strong for Riley but once they started hooking him up to IV's I lost it. I had to leave the room. Dan wasn't able to stay either. The doctor advised him to leave or to have a seat because he was going to bend his arm in an"un-natural way". He said most parents can't handle it. We waited in the waiting room for about 15 minutes. When we went back in he had tears in his eyes and was all sweaty. I felt so bad for him! The medicine they gave him seem to block all the memories of that morning. 

He now sports a blue cast which doesn't seem to get in his way at all. He's picked up using his left hand really well. All in all, I think he likes the attention it's getting him. I hope to never go through that again.  I'm sure it's pretty likely with three boys...oh, well. :)



No comments: